From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:03:02
1 On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:58:03 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/04/12 22:49, Dale wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > Well, it appears we got the init thingy working. I'm about ready to
6 > > move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
7 > > spare to move things around with. I use cp -a to copy things while
8 > > booted from a USB stick do hicky. So far, that has always worked and is
9 > > pretty fast. I do have a question tho.
10 > >
11 > > When I copy this over, do I still need to copy over null, console and
12 > > such to /dev? I know I don't need everything in /dev but do recall
13 > > needing those in the past. Has this changed since I'm using the init
14 > > thingy? Am I forgetting one? I thought there was three.
15 > >
16 > > Anything else that could be a gotcha? I plan to move this twice. Once
17 > > to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
18 > > again. It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
19 > > the last time.
20 >
21 > Make sure this is really what you want. If *any* of the disks in the
22 > LVM goes bad, you lose everything, not just the data on that single disk.
23
24 Actually, that is not necessarily true. When you create the logical volume
25 you can specify that it is mirrored onto multiple physical drives, assuming
26 you have enough space on more than one drive.
27
28 See the "-m, --mirrors Mirrors" option in 'man lvcreate'
31 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
32 Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
33 Then, when you do, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes.