From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ruby - 3 versions - seriously????
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 17:49:17
1 On 09/04/2017 01:07 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 >
3 > For almost all languages but Ruby (and Perl) you can take code written
4 > against one minor version and compile it in the next minor version.
7 This isn't a language issue with Ruby, it's a culture/package-management
8 one. For a long time, it's been easy to bundle dependencies in Ruby. The
9 result is a culture of saying "I need the version of ruby-foo that was
10 released on my birthday that one time mercury was in retrograde, and
11 also I'd like the version number to have a seven in it somewhere because
12 that's my daughter's age." When two package authors come up with two
13 different requirements like that, you end up needing *two* versions of
14 ruby-foo installed.
15
16 Even if both packages could happily use the same, latest version of
17 ruby-foo -- you get what upstream says in most cases. And what upstream
18 says is usually crap, because they bundle everything and will never
19 notice annoying incompatibilities like end-users do.