From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Half error message on attempting to access You Tube from Firefox
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:03:58
1 On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:49:27 +0000
2 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 11:23:53AM -0500, »Q« wrote:
5
6 > > Alan, I think Firefox relies on gstreamer for at least some of its
7 > > HTML5 playback capability, so USE="-gstreamer" may be at the root of
8 > > the issue. On the YouTube HTML5 page, do you get a "What does this
9 > > browser support?" section? If so, what does it say?
10 >
11 > Of the six boxes there, I have ticks (?check marks?) on
12 > o - HTMLVideoElement
13 > o - WebM VP8
14 > I have exclamation marks on all the others, namely
15 > o - H.264
16 ^^^^^
17 This is the only one which I have but you don't, and HTML video plays ok
18 for me with Firefox 37.0.2.
19
20 > o - Media Source Extensions
21 > o - MSE & H.264
22 > o - MSE & WebM VP9
23
24 The MSE ones are disabled in all Firefoxen for now. They tried
25 enabling support recently, but uncovered so many bugs they had to
26 disable it right away.
27
28 > It's frustrating that "HTML5" isn't mentioned in that list of six.
29
30 HTML5 video encompasses several formats. "HTMLVideoElement" checked
31 just means the browser will recognize <video> elements, and the others
32 are various formats.
33
34 > I'll take your tip and try rebuilding with gstreamer enabled. Thanks!
35
36 I hope it works! I just tried looking at which gst-plugins I have
37 installed, to figure out which might give H.264 support, but I can't
38 make sense of it.