From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing on an eee-pc 1000H
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:50:11
1 On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>wrote:
2
3 > Hello list,
4 >
5 > I'm trying to install Gentoo on a new eee-pc but falling at the first
6 > hurdle. I've followed the instructions on making a boot USB stick in
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml but the machine doesn't recognise
8 > the stick at boot time. It's a 4GB stick so I made a FAT-32 partition
9 > occupying the whole space, using mkdosfs, then copied the contents of
10 > install-x86-minimal-20090915.iso following the instructions. I did all the
11 > things I was told to, but at the next boot the BIOS calls the stick merely
12 > a "removable device", not a USB disk, and then it doesn't boot from it.
15 A basic thing to check - make sure your BIOS is set to boot the removable
16 device before the internal HDD - you have to do this with the USB stick
17 inserted, and (if the 1000H is anything like the 900A), it will revert to
18 internal HDD first any time you boot w/o the USB stick inserted.
19
20 Oh, and "removable device" is fine - the BIOS doesn't have the smarts to
21 know if it's a USB stick, an external USB HDD, an SD card through a USB
22 adapter, or ???
23
24 HTH
25
26 -James
33 > Can anyone tell me if that web page is up to date and complete? I notice it
34 > doesn't say to make the _stick_ bootable, only the partition on it.
35 >
36 > TIA.
37 >
38 > --