From: Anthony Roy <antroy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsyncd problem...
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:55:41
1 Firstly - my apologies for the messed up titles of my replies. I
2 hadn't been able to get posts accepted on the list from GMail
3 (probably because I was using a different 'from' address than my gmail
4 address). Anyway I have to use the pieces of sh** Outlook and Exchange
5 at work, and I hadn't noticed all the [SPAM] tags it had added...
6
7 > I am trying to get an rsync server running on my Gentoo server box in
8
9 I've sorted the problem I was having. It was of course me
10 mis-understanding how rsync works. I was not after simply connecting
11 to my server using rsync via ssh, but setting it up as an rsync
12 server...
13
14 It turns out that I had the server set up correctly (and it seems it
15 is simple to restrict access to our main PC's IP address so that
16 unwanted intruders - such as the kids on their PC ;-) - are kept out.
17
18 It seems I was using the wrong client-dside command:
19
20 > rsync -avz test.xml 192.168.0.100:rsync
21
22 should have been
23
24 rsync -avz test.xml 192.168.0.100::rsync
25
26 i.e. with two colons!
27
28 Cheers,