From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rkhunter reports xorddos component
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 14:30:04
1 On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 8:47 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 12:27:59 GMT Mick wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Could it be these versions are now launching /run/udev.pid? Is a file /run/
6 > > udev.pid present in your system?
7 >
8 > Yes, I have such a text file, containing just a PID.
9 >
10 > > In any case, the file merely contains the PID number of
11 > > /lib/systemd/systemd- udevd, rather than an ELF binary and /etc/init.d/
12 > > does not contain anything suspicious. However, with armies generating
13 > > variants of every conceivable malware I don't know if it pays to be a bit
14 > > paranoid about this.
15 >
16 > They really are out to get us...
19 If it really looks like a PID file I'd assume that this is a false
20 positive. It would likely be generated by openrc and the init.d
21 script. Since almost no other distros use OpenRC it isn't entirely
22 surprising that a tool like rkhunter wasn't tested using it to catch
23 the false positive. I'd report the issue to them.
24
25 If by "they" you meant systemd I don't really see how they're actually
26 involved. Well, other than indirectly by virtue of not creating this
27 file and being the only config the rkhunter maintainers are probably
28 using.
29
30 Keep in mind that by its nature rkhunter is going to be a bit limited,
31 at least when used in this way. If it supports offline scanning (ie
32 from a rescue disk) then that would be pretty secure, but if it is
33 running on a potentially-compromised kernel then a clever rootkit
34 could evade it. Just the usual cat-and-mouse game with these sorts of
35 things, but rkhunter can only see the filesystem and process tree that
36 the potentially-compromised kernel lets it see. Offline scanning
37 tools are always going to be superior in this regard, if you have
38 known-clean (ideally read-only) boot media, and a clean firmware to
39 boot it from. Really the cleanest solution would be to remove the
40 hard drives and scan them on a separate machine.
43 Rich