From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Downgrade glibc-2.11 to 2.10
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:36:40
1 On 11/17/2009 11:06 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Yes, I have read this in
3 > /var/portage/sys-libs/glibc/files/eblits/pkg_setup.eblit
4 > and I understand the risks.
5 >
6 > if has_version '>'${CATEGORY}/${PF} ; then
7 > eerror "Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:"
8 > eerror " Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to destruction"
9 > die "aborting to save your system"
10 > fi
11 >
12 > I want to do it anyway.
13
14 I have never done this on a package-managed system but I did have to
15 downgrade glibc on a slackware system once. It's very VERY ugly; all
16 kinds of implementation details get exposed as special symbols, or new
17 symbol versions, or whatever, that make going backwards a mess.
18
19 The way I was told to do it was to get a compiled copy of lower glibc
20 version into an alternative install path, like /usr/local/glibc, and
21 rebuild everything against that copy. You could have emerge build 2.10
22 into an alternative --root, or go get a binary package of 2.10 and
23 uncompress it somewhere. Then update CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to include the
24 correct -L and -I parameters pointing to
25 /usr/local/glibc/{lib,usr/lib,include}.
26
27 When I did it, I rebuilt everything on my system twice, just to be safe.
28 First time through, you build against the extra copy of glibc,
29 including building a downgraded glibc in the proper system location, and
30 having the build tools link to the correct lower version. Then you
31 remove the CFLAGS/LDFLAGS and rebuild everything again, this time
32 against the downgraded version in the correct location, and then you can
33 remove your extra copy. I'm not entire positive that second one was
34 strictly necessary but it worked.
35
36 Or you can just back up your data and reinstall :)
37
38 > A multitude of apps that used to run just fine now give "free(): invalid
39 > pointer" errors since I upgraded to glibc-2.11
40
41 Make sure you file bug reports on these. The programs are probably
42 doing buggy things that glibc used to be rather forgiving about. I
43 believe in 2.11 they added extra checks to the memory management used by
44 C++ programs, though I don't know specifics. This would catch things
45 like using delete where they meant delete[], or free() on something
46 allocated with new.
47
48 The standard says the behavior of this type of operation is undefined,
49 so glibc is technically free to do "anything it wants". Unfortunately,
50 when glibc is nice and make that "anything" be "what you wanted it to do
51 anyway" it encourages people do keep doing bad things, thus the
52 ever-increasing strictness of the library.
53
54 --Mike