From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 1TB 2.5in drive recommendation
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:28:02
1 On Saturday, September 13, 2014 09:45:28 PM Hans wrote:
2 > On 28/08/14 21:45, Joseph wrote:
3 > > I need to select 500GB or 1TB infernal 2.5in drive, any recommendation
4 > > (reliability) of the brand.
5 > > My current WD 320GB fail after 5-years.
6 >
7 > Go Samsung actually made by Samsung in Korea or if you can get Hitachi
8 > actually made by Hitachi in Japan. Western Digital and Seagate come out
9 > of the same plants in Thailand and Indonesia and don't last.
10
11 What do you mean with don't last?
12 I have seen Hitachis die within a year and WDs that lasted more then 10 years.
13 That is no guarantee that Hitachis are unreliable or WDs are always reliable.
14
15 > I had a 14 year old Toshiba Laptop with a Toshiba disk, The disk died
16 > after 14 month when the warranty has expired.
17
18 1 failure 14 years ago is not a reliable result to base your comments on.
19
20 > Replaced it with Samsung
21 > disk. The Laptop was used until very recently 24/7 as mail and web
22 > server with buld in UPS (battery) until the screen and keyboard died.
23
24 A laptop is not designed to run 24/7 and neither are the batteries reliable
25 after being constantly charged 24/7. Did you ever test the "ups"
26 functionality?
27
28 > The Samsung disk is still alive and well as a plugin backup for the
29 > replacement Laptop server.
30
31 If the new one has a Li-Ion battery, you have a nice fire-hazard....
32 Hope you have sufficient cooling for the battery, considering you are using it
33 24/7.
36 Joost