From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] emerging glib fails to create .la files
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:41:59
1 I've run into a strange problem updating my netbook.
2 I merged glib-2.28.8 successfully as part of a Revdep-Rebuild job,
3 it being a dep for one of the pkgs in the R-R list.
4 However after that, merging gtk+-2.24.4 librsvg-2.34.0 libglade-2.6.4
5 all failed with a libtool error : "libtool: link: /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.0.la
6 is not a valid libtool archive" or ditto for libgobject ;
7 indeed, those files do not exist in the netbook,
8 but in my already updated desktop machine, glib did create them.
9 The glib merge msgs did include a recommendation to remerge dbus-glib ,
10 but that required dbus & that too failed with a similar libtool error !
11 I tried remerging glib , but it still didn't create the needed .la files.
12
13 The only item thrown up by Google was a Gentoo forum thread
14 re a different problem, but recent & suggesting gcc needed updating
15 or users could run into problems with Gnome-type apps.
16 I'm presently updating to gcc-4.4.5 (previously 4.4.3),
17 but that will take > 3 hr in the netbook, so any advice is welcome.
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca