From: Catalin Grigoroscuta <c.grigoroscuta@×××××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to safely unmerge a package
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:29:20
1 Hi,
4 I have some trouble is safely removing a package.
5 I remember doing a "qpkg -q -I <package>" to find out whether the
6 package is still used, and the remove it.
7
8 But now, qpkg does not exist anymore, and I've read it was replaced by
9 equery.
10 However, there are two problems with equery:
11 1. it disregards the use flags. equery depends <package> displays all
12 packages that may depend on a package, not the ones that really do on my
13 system.
14 I remember seeing something in bugzilla about this issue, but is was
15 marked as fixed, but I could not figure out in which version (I have the
16 latest gentoolkit).
17 2. it disregards the virtual packages. According to equery, I cas safely
18 remove xorg-x11 (!), because no one depends on it! But if I do so, all
19 packages depending on the virtual x11 package would be broken.
20
21 So, considering this, can someone point out how can I safely remove a
22 package?
25 Thank you,
26 Catalin
27 --