From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:50:41
1 Hi b.n.,
2 on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:26:56PM +0200, you wrote:
3 > Seriously: can someone more skilled than me explain why using
4 > --resume-skipfirst and then trying to solve the unmerged packages is/can be
5 > a bad idea? How can this break the system?
6
7 Frankly I have no idea. I've heard that argument many times in the
8 Paludis discussions but never even an attempt at an explanation that
9 went beyond "it breaks your system". My understanding is that you can
10 have two kinds of situation if an upgrade fails:
11 a) the failed package is not a dependency of any other package
12 b) the failed package is a dependency of at least one other package
13 In case a) you get to keep the old version, no problem. In case b) the
14 package that depends on the failed one can
15 b1) work with the old version
16 b2) require the upgrade (and say so in the ebuild)
17 In case b1) things will continue working just fine. In case b2) you'll
18 get another failed emerge as portage will notice the unmet dependency,
19 so you get to keep the old version, no problem.
20
21 Did I miss anything? Sorry, no flowers today.
22
23 cheers,
24 Matthias
25 --
26 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
27 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665