From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 20:52:18
1 2015-05-29 20:34 GMT+03:00 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>:
2 > Am Fri, 29 May 2015 19:34:03 +0300
3 > schrieb gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 >> Firefox is compiled without any linguas set.
6 >> NLS support disabled globally in make.conf.
7 >> And still, while right-clicking on youtube videos
8 >> in firefox, I get menu in one of the easten-europian
9 >> languages. :(
10 >
11 > This may very well be outside of the control of the browser. I don't know for
12 > sure how it works, but as I understand it, websites *can* determine your
13 > location (or try to) and adapt themselves accordingly.
14
15 May be. But I have just tried the same from Google Chrome
16 and got the same menu in English.
17
18 > For example, I'm in northern Germany and in the past I would
19 > sometimes get the dutch localisation of youtube, and IMDB
20 > always shows me the terrible German titles of movies, even
21 > in links in English comments. That's just bad website design,
22 > at least in my opinion.
23
24 But why a change of a browser solves the issue?
25
26 > Actually, after I wrote that, I decided to look in the Firefox settings, and
27 > presto: you can set the preferred locales for websites (under the "content"
28 > tab, or whatever it's called in English)! That fixed IMDB for me, maybe it'll
29 > work for you?
30
31 If you mean Firefox Preferences > Content > Languages > Choose...,
32 I have only the English language there.
33
34 May be I should dig into about:config, but from the first look
35 I could not find there anything related to my problem either.
36
37 > I don't think you've answered this yet: is this the only situation where you
38 > get the wrong locale, or does it happen in *native* applications, too?
39
40 Yes, this is the only situation I met. However the set of applications I use
41 is quite limited.
42
43 > Marc Joliet
44 > --
45 > "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
46 > don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup