From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 19:51:40
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I sort of started this on another thread but wanted to nail a few things
5 > down first.  I'm wanting to encrypt some parts of my data on /home.
6 > <<< SNIP >>>
10 OK.  I looked into another hard drive but budget right now says no.  So,
11 I went back to plan A.  I managed to remove the 6TB drive and it is now
12 on it's own LVM thingy.  I've moved enough over to mount it and use it
13 as my /home directory.  I'm in the process of copying other non-critical
14 files over so I can move things around some more.  Anyway, I'm using
15 rsync to copy things over.  It works great, can restart if I need to
16 stop it etc etc but it has one thing that annoys me.  While it is
17 copying things over, it makes my system slow to respond.  Once the cache
18 in memory gets pretty full, it takes a while to switch desktops or for
19 programs to show up when I do get to a desktop.  Seamonkey seems to be
20 hit hardest with this.  I tried putting ionice in front of the command
21 but it is still slow.  My CPU cores are a bit busy but nowhere near
22 100%.  Most cores are switching from almost idle to around 40% at their
23 peak.  If I added them all up, I'd say the total would average around
24 10%, 20% at the very most.  I've got swapiness set pretty low and it
25 isn't using swap according to gkrellm.
26
27 Anyone have a idea how to make rsync not cause this problem?  Is there
28 something besides ionice I need to use?
29
30 Thanks.
31
32 Dale