From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:11:03
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:04:11 -0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 >> Chris Walters wrote:
6 >>> On 1/19/2012 11:57 AM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
7 >>>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:53:07AM -0600, Dale wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> While on this subject, sort of. Who on here as their email
10 >>>>> set up to encrypt and decrypt emails? I want to test some
11 >>>>> things OFF LIST.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Well, if you had signed your mail, then I could write you
14 >>>> encrypted. :)
15 >>>
16 >>> This is a test. Enigmail has been trying to use a revoked and
17 >>> expired key to sign my messages, lately.
18 >>>
19 >>> Chris
20 >>>
23 >> I have a question now. I got a message from Paul Hartman and
24 >> replied to it, off list, and it was encrypted and I hope my reply
25 >> was too. My question is this. How do you make a email that only
26 >> the sender and receiver can read? As a example. I'm talking to
27 >> a Doctor or a lawyer and I don't want anyone but that person to
28 >> see the email. How do I do that? Can that be done.
29 >>
30 >> The message that I am repying to appears to be something,
31 >> encypted maybe, but I think anyone on this list that uses the
32 >> tool can read it. Am I correct?
33 >>
34 >> I'm trying to get a full understanding of this thing. Ya'll know
35 >> how I am. lol
36 >
37 > Well we first need to be accurate. It's not a case that only you
38 > and Paul can read the encrypted mail. It's a case that only a
39 > machine holding the necessary private key can decrypt it, and then
40 > the mail can be read in plain text. Not quite the same thing as
41 > what you said, as private keys can be stolen.
42 >
43 > If Paul encrypted the mail using your public key, then only the
44 > private key you hold can decrypt it. Similarly, if you encrypt a
45 > mail to Paul using his public key, then only Paul's private key can
46 > decrypt it.
47 >
48 > There's no known way to decrypt a mail like that without the
49 > single private key needed (this works exactly like https traffic to
50 > your bank). I feel very confident saying "no known way" as cracking
51 > that puzzle has been the Holy Grail of maths prizes for 40 years
52 > and no-one has announced success. Seeing as mathematicians are a
53 > vain lot, and the one that accomplishes this feat with be showered
54 > with honour and glory for all time (making Einstein look like a
55 > child), it's a safe assumption that it hasn't been done yet.
56 >
57 > To check if the mail was encrypted, simply tell EnigMail to not
58 > decrypt it. It will show as gobbledegook, then only the recipient
59 > can decrypt it (as long as the private key stays safe).
60 >
61 > To make this all work, you need to share public keys with each
62 > other. But you don't need to do it in secret as the public keys
63 > are, well, public. So you stick them on a key server where the
64 > other guy can retrieve them and away you go, profit!!! There's a
65 > few other steps you should do to establish trust in the public key
66 > (they can be forged) but that's beyond the scope of explaining how
67 > the keys work.
68 >
69 > The answer to your question is then yes.
70 >
71 > I suppose next you'll be wanting to know what fields to fill in in
72 > your specific mail app to enable it your end, right?
79 I don't think so. I been chatting with Paul off list. I can open his
80 encypted emails and he can open mine. I think we call that success?
81
82 I think I got this now. I got one more message to read tho. Getting
83 it explained in more than one way helps me. I have to have that light
84 bulb moment. ;-)
85
86 Dale
87
91 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood
92 or how you interpreted my words!
93
94 Miss the compile output? Hint:
95 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"