From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} method for graphing server stuff?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 03:03:14
1 On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 08:02 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > > +1 to rrdtool. At my company, we set up rrdtool to graph 100's of
4 > > graphs per day on all sorts of data from different sources. It's very
5 > > customisable, if you want to spend the time on it. I also found the
6 > > creator and forum very supportive.
7 >
8 > Is it difficult to plug in data from sources different sources?
9
10 not at all. I sucked the data from a "proprietary" source using a perl
11 script, and in the script I just called rrdtool to add the data sample
12 by sample to the RRD.
13
14 The only downside was that the data was in "high res" - varying sampling
15 up to 100ms. rrdtool only handles 1s data, so I had to do some
16 "playing" to get it to look right. Since the output was for daily /
17 weekly / monthly overviews, the loss of precision didn't matter.
18
19 HTH,
23 One tree to rule them all,
24 One tree to find them,