From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 13:19:46
1 <wabenbau@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> <wabenbau@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >> > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> >> Hi,
10 >> >>
11 >> >> what's taking so long when emerging packages despite distcc is
12 >> >> used?
13 > [...]
14 >> Can it be that the client is simply too slow compared to the server to
15 >> give it any significant load? (The client isn't exactly slow; it's
16 >> slow compared to the server.)
17 >
18 > I used a pentium 4 laptop as client and two phenom2 quadcore pc as
19 > server. I don't remember the settings that I used but I think it
20 > was something about -j10 or so.
21 >
22 > When I compiled large programs, the load count of the servers was
23 > high most of the time and they were very busy with compiling. Only
24 > at linking time they were waiting for new data.
25 > Compilation time was much lower than without distcc.
26
27 The load average only goes high on the client. The server is too fast
28 to notice.
29
30 > However when I compiled small programs, the benefit of distcc was
31 > very small or even null. Also compilation time of OpenOffice was
32 > very long, because of the -j1 setting in the ebuild.
33
34 I haven't emerged libreoffice yet --- that might take very long.
35
36 > I don't know the reason of your problem. Maybe you should try it
37 > without pump mode to see if this makes a difference.
38
39 Hm, that's worth a try.
40
41 > Have you used distccmon to see what happens while compiling? IIRC
42 > it shows you exactly what's going on at each host (preprocessing,
43 > compiling, waiting). Maybe this will bring some light into the
44 > whole thing.
45
46 It doesn't show anything but blank lines --- it might compile too fast
47 for anything to show up. I can see in /var/log/messages that things are
48 being compiled, like this:
51 distccd[29727]: (dcc_job_summary) client: 192.168.3.33:38604 COMPILE_OK
52 exit:0 sig:0 core:0 ret:0 time:372ms x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ drvvtk.cpp
55 The gui monitor doesn't seem to exist.