From: renna <rennadp@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] problems with udev
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:13:08
1 hi to all
2 i'm having some problems, with, i think, the permissions
3 of /dev/null /dev/console and /dev/zero. every time i boot they're set up to
4 660, like this
5
6 crw-rw---- 1 renna root 5, 1 Jul 13 17:04 /dev/console
7 crw-rw---- 1 root root 1, 3 Apr 9 06:31 /dev/null
8 crw-rw---- 1 root root 1, 5 Apr 9 06:31 /dev/zero
9
10 so when i login as a normal user, i get
11 /dev/null: Permission denied
12
13 and i have to
14 chmod 666 /dev/null
15
16 to be able to login in kde
17
18 furthermore, in kde, when i launch konsole, the window of konsole shows up,
19 but there's only the cursor blinking, and i cannot enter commands - i have to
20 ctrl+alt+fn to a terminal
21 and allways in kde, when i launch a program that requires root's password, as
22 kuser, i get a window with this message
23
24 The program 'su' is not found;
25 make sure your PATH is set correctly.
26
27 though su, which is perfectly working in a terminal, is in /bin which IS in my
28 PATH
29
30 i really don't know if these problems in kde are correlated with the
31 permissions in dev, but on google i found many persons having problems with
32 udev and having more or less the same problems (though i couldn't find a
33 solution to my case). i tried, as explained on
34 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml#doc_chap3
35 to mknod new null and console in /dev, but when i boot the permissions are
36 again set to 660.
37 does somebody have an idea of what i should do? if there's some information i
38 lacked to give please ask
39 thanks
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list