From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Remote access to windows desktops
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:12:07
1 On Thursday 12 July 2007 16:53, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > I've been googling around about how to access a windows desktop (win
3 > xp home) from linux.
4 >
5 > There seems to be a large array of such tools but none appear to tell
6 > you up front if one can access the actual windows desktop and control
7 > it.
8 >
9 > FreeNX looks like it might but home pages are not clear to me.
10 >
11 > What are people using to access a networked windows XP home machine
12 > desktop and control it?
13
14 I have tried rdesktop and krdc on my Gentoo. The WinXP box will need to run
15 either remote desktop service (rdp) which is only available on WinXP Pro if I
16 am not wrong, or VNC server (rfb). I am not sure if there is a binary you
17 can install on WinXP Home to run remote desktop. The linux running rdesktop
18 will use rdp to access the remote desktop port on WinXP (but you can attach
19 it to a console on WinXP and run any application you like/are allowed). krdc
20 can connect to either rdp or rfb servers, so it is a more versatile
21 application. If you decide to use RealVNC server on WinXP and you are going
22 to use the free version then please consider creating a ssh tunnel and run
23 the application through it, only listening for connections on localhost.
24 That way traffic will stay encrypted (albeit with some overhead for sure) and
25 if configured with a public key authentication will remain safe from cracking
26 attempts (contact me off list if you need more details to get it going). The
27 paid RealVNC versions have encrypted authentication and are more safe than
28 the free version, for connections through the Internet.
29
30 The FreeNX server is a caching server which minimises transfer of data between
31 the two machines. The drawback is that it needs to run on *nix - on the
32 server side of the connection. There are FreeNX clients for both *nix and MS
33 Windows machines. You might be able to run Linux within VMWare on your
34 WinXP, launch FreeNX in Linux and then connect the WinXP remote desktop
35 server or the RealVNC server to it. As I have no experience with VMWare I
36 wouldn't look forward to troubleshooting a connection like this, if it is at
37 all feasible in the first instance. Anyway, that would place the WinXP box
38 under some strain which may counter any gain of the FreeNX. ISPs throttling
39 of traffic on specific ports could also slow things down.
40
41 With or without a ssh tunnel make sure you get the WinXP firewall set up right
42 and ideally restricted to allow access on rdp or rfb ports from specific
43 client IP addresses only.
44
45 I hope this helps.
46 --