From: THUFIR HAWAT <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] screen flickers/static
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:28:53
1 On 3/24/06, Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > As root:
3 >
4 > X -configure
5 >
6 > This will attempt to detect your X hardware - mouse, keyboard, video,
7 > monitor - and create a new temporary file called xorg.conf.new. You'll
8 > then be able to edit and use this file to test X. You'll need to modify
9 > xorg.conf.new to take advantage of your particular hardware so edit this
10 > file a bit to your liking before you copy it to /etc/X11/ as xorg.conf.
11 > If you're completely lost or don't really understand what I'm talking
12 > about, check out this Gentoo documentation on setting up X:
13 >
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
15 ..
16
17 Thanks :)
18
19 "Warning: Do not "just" change the values of these two monitor related
20 variables without consulting the technical specifications of your
21 monitor. Setting incorrect values lead to out-of-sync errors at best
22 and smoked up screens at worst."
23
24 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml>
25
26 I saw something similar in your file.
27
28 How dangerous is this? The danger is analogous to "overclocking" but
29 applies to the monitor?
32 -Thufir
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list