From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMDGPU: firefox hangs the window manager
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 23:08:28
1 On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 8:11 AM n952162@×××.de <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > I recently reported that after rebuilding my kernel, my system doesn't
4 > power down any more. My problems are actually much more severe. When I
5 > bring up Firefox, my system grinds to a crawl, where it can take minutes to
6 > echo a few characters (if at all). That's everywhwere in the window
7 > manager, all xterm instances.
8 >
9 > VTs and ssh instances run fine. I'm thinking, the amdgpu module is causing
10 > problems when features are invoked by firefox.
11 >
12 > This in the hopes that there were improvements to AMDGPU, but it's much
13 > worse for me now.
14 >
15 > I'm running (kinda running) 4.19.72. I followed the instructions on
16 > gentoo's AMDGPU page.
17 >
18 > Are is there anybody else running AMDGPU and having more luck?
21 No problems with ~amd64 AMDGPU and firefox here. I even use USE +hwaccel.
22
23 FWIW, USE +pgo +lto makes firefox 71 seg fault for me, but has been fine
24 with previous versions for ages.
25
26 The first thing I try when I get these sorts of issues after a kernel
27 change is emerge @x11-module-rebuild, and I had one instance many years ago
28 where emerge xorg-server fixed an issue.