From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USERDIR problem with apache on new install (SOLVED)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:02:48
1 On Sat, Sep 29 2012, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > On my new install USERDIR is not working.
4 >
5 > When I try http://localhost/~gottlieb, firefox says
6 > "you don't have permission to access /~gottlieb"
7 > and the apache error log says
8 > "client denied by server configuration: /local/allan/gottlieb/public_html"
9 >
10 > The file permissions are ok since both
11 > file:///home/gottlieb/public_html/index.html and
12 > file:///home/gottlieb/public_html
13 > work fine.
14 >
15 > So I guess I screwed up the apache install, in particular USERDIR.
16 >
17 > eix shows userdir (see below)
18 >
19 > /etc/conf.d/apache2 has it (see below, diffs = with my working install)
20 >
21 > I have restarted apache, shutdown the machine overnight, reinstalled
22 > apache, but still no go.
23 >
24 > What step did I foolishly miss?
25 >
26 > thanks,
27 > allan
28
29 Finally! I have a filesystem mounted on /local for my local files
30 including my home directory /local/allan/gottlieb.
31 I put in a symlink /home -> /local/allan/gottlieb
32 so that programs looking in /home would be happy.
33 I had /etc/passwd say /local/allan/gottlieb since it is the real
34 directory.
35
36 apache doesn't like this. There is probably an option to let it do this
37 since it has several options on symlinks
38
39 However I simply changed /etc/passwd to say /home/gottlieb and apache
40 is happy.
41
42 allan