From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amazon-Instant video
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:14:32
1 On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 01:32:10AM -0600, Kevin Brandstatter wrote:
2 > I just got amazon prime for the instant videos (among other things) and
3 > figured i should
4 > be able to watch it on linux since its in flash.
5 > However, I have had no luck getting it to play an instant video,
6 > i've narrowed it down to videos with DRM, (because trailers play fine
7 > and DRM screws up everything)
8 > Google searches come up that it needs HAL (which is deprecated)
9 > I even managed to install HAL, and still no luck
10 >
11 > i keep getting "error occurred and your player cannot be updated"
12 > I have the latest flash, chrome and firefox. (tried both)
13 >
14 > Just wondering if others are having the same trouble or if someone has a
15 > solution.
16 >
17 > -Kevin
18
19 Is this attached screenshot the type of message you get? If so, you should
20 have clicked on the link there which states "Why can't I watch videos on my
21 Chrome browser in Linux?" ... and this is the message it provides:
22
23 The Flash Player Plugin in Chrome removed support for Digital Rights
24 Management (DRM) in Linux as part of the upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4. This
25 upgrade was bundled with the latest Chrome 22 update for Linux. If you applied
26 the Chrome update, you are no longer able to watch DRM-protected content, such
27 as movies and TV episodes. Trailers are unaffected as they do not use DRM. To
28 get around this issue, you can use a different browser, such as Firefox. For
29 information on Chrome and the Flash Player plug-in, see:
30 https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086.
31
32 My Gentoo workstation is using firefox-18.0.1 and just updated to
33 adobe-flash-11.2.202.262 but won't play the free instant video I tried.
34
35 Since that's the latest version of flash in portage, I supposed you could try
36 and get the later source and create a local overlay and try that.
37 --
38 Happy Penguin Computers >')
39 126 Fenco Drive ( \
40 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
42 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
43 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
44
45 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
46 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
47 A: Top-posting.
48 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
49
50 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting