From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 07:25:28
1 On 29 August 2017 08:53:16 GMT+02:00, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 05:41:53AM +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote
3 >
4 >> Look into proxy servers.
5 >> I think privoxy should be able to do the trick.
6 >
7 > Looking at the /usr/portage/net-proxy directory, I see several proxy
8 >programs. I checked the privoxy man page at linux.die.net and it
9 >mentions that some features are not available under https. Is this a
10 >privoxy limit, or is it a limitation of proxies in general?
11 >
12 > Is "tinyproxy" noticeably simpler than privoxy? My main requirement
13 >is to block a list of domains. Is it possible for a proxy to edit a
14 >webpage on-the-fly, so that references to unwanted URLs are stripped
15 >out, and the browser doesn't waste time trying to download from a
16 >blocked adserver?
17
18 Checked the FAQ, blocking by host pattern will work. Blocking by content of the page will not.
19
20 For blocking ads, this will be sufficient.
21 If you want to block pages because it mentions cats or other suspicious words, https will not work as the data is encrypted.
24 Joost
25 --
26 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.