From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [was: What can cause printer to crop top of page?] /etc/papersize is ignored
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:01:05
1 On Friday, 29 December 2017 14:30:43 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > > I think the bug is that "A4" has to be set in so many places, where "so
3 > > many" means more than one. In a well designed printing system, there
4 > > would be just one place to set it.
5 >
6 > And that would have to be /etc/papersize, no?
7
8 Well, /etc/papersize should be sourced when seeking a default setting, unless
9 $PAPERSIZE, or $PAPERCONF is set.
10
11 In any case, cups should be able to change the printer's default setting to a
12 different size. Also various applications should be able to select a
13 different size when submitting individual print jobs, or we would have trouble
14 printing labels, envelopes, photographs and what have you. What should not
15 really happen is setting defaults for the OS, the printer and the application
16 and then ALL OF THEM being ignored by Brother's lpdwrapper script. Or am I
17 asking too much by companies who shy away from publishing openprinting code.
20 Regards,
21 Mick