From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Libreoffice and copying web pages
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:48:22
1 On 2019.04.30 18:12, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > As some know, I got a printer.  Now I'm trying to get some info and
5 > print it using LOo for the most part.  This is the way I do this.  I
6 > go
7 > to a web page, sites will vary, and I highlight what I want and copy
8 > it
9 > to the clipboard.  I then go to LOo and paste it as HTML, since that
10 > is
11 > what it is.  At that point, LOo fetches things like pics and such to
12 > place on the document.  It takes a little time and I avoid copying
13 > videos since it can't print a video.  For the most part, this works
14 > great.  It takes a minute or so to fetch the pics and such and
15 > everything looks fine.  I remove anything I don't want such as ads and
16 > such.  Basically, it looks like the web page but I can edit it to make
17 > fonts larger etc.  However, sometimes it doesn't work.
18
19 [snip ......]
20
21 One important thing to remember is that when you copy/paste part of a
22 web page, it is not a complete HTML document, but only part of one.
23 There are lots of things you probably didn't copy, many of which are
24 not actually visible, such as css definitions, for example. You may
25 also end up with invalid HTML if what you copied does not have
26 correctly matched opening and closing tags for all the parts you
27 copied. When I do this type of thing to get a good print, I do a "Save
28 as..." in the browser, and then open the HTML doc in LO and delete what
29 I don't want. I also sometimes try saving as a plain LO doc, instead
30 of HTML, but always saving a copy before I make that change, as I've
31 found it has an inconsistent effect - depending (probably) on how the
32 original HTML was created. A lot of web pages seem to have been
33 created by tools which create very convoluted HTML, often with lots of
34 javascript assisting in the layout, and I don't believe that LO can do
35 anything with js (although I'm not absolutely certain about that.)
36
37 I'm sure others will have more concrete suggestions.
38
39 Jack