From: Ovidiu Bivolaru <ovidiu@×××××××××××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NIC problems after MS Windows update
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:56:49
1 Hi,
2
3 Mick wrote:
4 > On Monday 20 August 2007, James Ausmus wrote:
5 >
6 >> On 8/19/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> At long last I managed to find a work around to this problem, which was
9 >>> probably caused by Microsoft deciding to become environmentally
10 >>> friendly . . .
11 >>>
12 > [snip...]
15 >>> SOLUTION:
16 >>>
17 >>> Since all of this started with an update of the MS Windows drivers I
18 >>> thought that the problem has to do with some firmware or new setting,
19 >>> that the MS Windows drivers inflicted on the card. Some relevant
20 >>> searching brought me to this page http://www.scyld.com/modules.html and
21 >>> the comments under The "D3-cold" problem. Well, no sooner had I
22 >>> rebooted, after pulling the plug for a few seconds to make sure the
23 >>> machine powers down completely, the card was at long last recognised and
24 >>> an IP address obtained. It seems then that the MS Windows driver shuts
25 >>> down the power to the card and the Linux driver does not/cannot switch it
26 >>> back on.
27 >>>
28 >> Make sure you pass this info along to the kernel-side maintainer of
29 >> the 8139 driver you are using so that they can get the issue fixed.
30 >> You can find the maintainer in the source file - in this case,
31 >> /usr/src/linux/drivers/8139too.c - looks like it's Jeff Garzik.
32 >>
33 >> -James
36 > Done.
40 Any update on this issue ? I'm using gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r5 (r2) and
41 I'm seeing the same problem (with gentoo-sources-2.6.21-r4 the same).
42
43 Regards,
44 Ovidiu
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list