From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Not-quite-right Intel graphics
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 00:56:59
1 On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 2:18 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hello list,
5 >
6 > I have a small box with a quad 64-bit Celeron and integrated graphics
7 > During
8 > boot, the UEFI screen is fine, but as soon as the kernel starts, it
9 > switches
10 > the background to a dark grey; I can't tell whether the white is properly
11 > white because of the grey background. I don't see anything wrong with the
12 > VT
13 > colours, and X11 seems unaffected too with XFCE. I assume the problem lies
14 > in
15 > the kernel.
16 > <snip>
17 > I have what I think are the right kernel settings for th I915 driver. For
18 > instance, from kernel help:
19 > CONFIG_AGP_INTEL:
20 > This option gives you AGP support for the GLX component of X
21 > on Intel [...] and I915 integrated graphics chipsets.
24 AGP is really old - no doubt this system will be using PCIE.
25
26 Is there anything interesting in the output of egrep '(WW|EE)'
27 ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log ?
28
29 Are you using the intel or modesetting driver? (try the other one?)
30 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel says that modesetting is now the
31 default. To that end my xorg.conf now has;
32 Driver "modesetting"
33 Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
34
35 FYI glamor is on by default in the xorg-server-1.20.5 ebuild.