From: Bas Zoutendijk <slzoutendijk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sendmail confused by network change
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:02:10
1 Dear Ian,
2
3 On Wed 20 Sep 2017 at 08:23:33 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 > Despite being one of the retro/traditionalist guys on this list, I have
5 > to say installing sendmail just for this purpose doesn't seem
6 > proportionate. Even if you don't want to look into the smallish MTA
7 > packages (nullmailer etc.), you can make /usr/sbin/sendmail to be a
8 > pretty trivial script (or a link to one) that just locks the destination
9 > mailbox and appends the input to it. Heck, procmail could do that.
10
11 I appreciate your opinion. I normally seek to avoid unnecessary
12 complication and find the right tool for the job. Since this is my
13 first Gentoo install, this is the first time I had to pick an MTA by
14 myself. Not knowing much about MTAs I though Sendmail was a
15 common/traditional choice and would therefore probably serve my need.
16
17 I will check out nullmailer and other MTAs to see if they better fit my
18 need without adding extra complexity. As I wrote John I was able to
19 resolve the issue so I can take my time now.
20
21 Thank you,
22
23 Bas