From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x86 boot failure
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 08:23:11
1 On Fri, 7 May 2010 07:28:00 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > > It drops you to the grub command line, it's documented on the GRUB
4 > > > menu screen itself, just after it tells you about e.
5 > >
6 > > Oh OK. I didn't reboot and read that part. lol I learned something
7 > > today. Just hope I will remember it when I need it. ;-)
8 >
9 > 'c' is good as long as the error is only with the GRUB entry. I
10 > usually find that on new installs the causes of failure to boot may be
11 > deeper and I will need to chroot back into the installation to fix
12 > things; e.g. reconfigure the kernel, add drivers and what not.
13
14 Indeed, but in this case the question was about getting to a grub
15 proompt, and pressing c is a lot simpler than digging out a live CD,
16 rebooting and setting up a chroot.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.