From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Front side bus setting
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:49:40
1 On Monday 11 September 2006 02:51, Grant wrote:
2 > Does anyone know of a way to set your system's front side bus speed in
3 > software? My Dell motherboard and BIOS don't seem to have any
4 > facility for it, and I've heard there is a utility in Windows that
5 > will allow you to set it.
6
7 Isn't there a jumper or two on the circuit board that you should dis/connect
8 according to the MoBo's manual to effect this? MoBos that don't have either
9 a BIOS menu choice or a jumper set up and rely on a software hack perhaps
10 mean that they are not meant to run (reliably) at anything other than default
11 speeds - on the other hand it may just mean that HP/Dell/etc. were providing
12 something cheap & cheerful with my granny in mind and couldn't be bothered to
13 fic their buggy BIOS'. With Gentoo compiling its own software the demands
14 placed on a machine are somewhat more onerous than that seen by a typical
15 M$Windoze setup.
16 --
17 Regards,
18 Mick