From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how best to encrypt a file
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 10:53:40
1 On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 05:47:22AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I have a couple of small files which need to be encrypted :
3 > one is simple text ( .txt ), the other a spreadsheet ( .ods ).
4 >
5 > I haven't used encryption like this before : what do others use ?
6
7 I have used `gpg' to do this before:
8
9 # Encrypt with a passphrase
10 gpg -c <file>
11
12 # Decrypt
13 gpg -d <file>.gpg
14
15 I do have some files I keep encrypted locally that I use `gpg' to
16 encrypt/decrypt, but with my personal key pair. For that, I use a vim
17 plugin[1] that transparently decrypts to `/tmp', lets me edit, and then
18 saves back to the original file. This prevents the decrypted contents
19 from ever being on my hard drive, as I have `/tmp' mounted as tmpfs.
20
21 Hope this helps,
22
23 Alec