From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going to Ubuntu - was 1.) Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:06:07
1 On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 09:27 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Joseph wrote:
3 > >>>Finally I was able to emerge KDE, it really took a lot of time.
4 > >>>Though, looking at the motherboard's ASUS A8V IRQ setting:
5 > >>>They put a lot of devices on IRQ5:
6 > >>>
7 > >>>skge - network controller
8 > >>>libata - I think this is sata ATA controller
9 > >>>ethci_Hcd:usb2, usb2
10 > >>>VIA8237 - sound ship
11 > >>>
12 > >>>No wonder I'm having problem (and some others) with Sata Drive, if it is
13 > >>>sharing an IRQ with so many devices. In comparison IDE controller have
14 > >>>all their own IRQ's Primary IRQ 14 and Secondary IRQ 15
15 > >>>
16 > >>
17 > >>Great! So, did you physically remove the sata drive? The sata drivers are still enabled though? The ouput from dmesg should give you an idea what drivers the kernel is actively using.
18 > >>
19 > >>Zac
22 > > No, I still have the same Sata Drive is just I'm playing with IRQ
23 > > assignment and configuration.
24 > > I've changed to BIOS PnP to YES, so my skge (network controller) and
25 > > libata (Sata Controller are shifted to IRQ 10
26 > >
27 > > But it makes me wonder both controllers on the Motherboard are different
28 > > chips, so why do they share IRQ? Is there a way to shift them to a
29 > > different IRQ since Linux control IRQ assignment now?
32 > A quick look through linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt shows
33 > that many drivers support direct irq assignment. Also,
34 > linux/Documentation/pnp.txt may be of use.
35 >
36 > Considering the positive results that you've gotten so far, it seems
37 > like you may be on the right track here. It makes me less concerned
38 > about any possible overheating, but if you wanted to be paranoid about
39 > it, you could get another heat probe to double check the readings from
40 > the first one ;-).
41 >
42 > Zac
43
44 Yes, it looks like a gold mind of information but at the moment it is
45 beyond my comprehension especially that I'm looking for quick
46 verification.
47 I'll settle for a simple solution, disable BIOS Network Controller, put
48 another network card on a PCI bus (making sure they are on a different
49 IRQ) and try to re-emerge kde. If it will compile without any problem
50 it would mean I've solved the problem.
51
52 Another problem with that ASUS A8V motherboard is that they put all
53 additional USB (above 4) on the same IRQ as Sata Controller and Network
54 Controller.
55 This is very bad design, having high demanding resources on the same
56 IRQ.
57 In addition they put Floppy Controller on a separate IRQ 6 without
58 ability to re-assign it. So one IRQ 6 is waisted if you don't have
59 floppy drive.
62 #Joseph
63 --
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list