From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM (Was: the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?))
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:38:43
1 On Saturday 26 March 2011 23:46:26 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > So LVM takes a bunch of disks or arrays and lets you combine them in ways
4 > you want them (not ways the hardware forces you to have them). And
5 > that's all it does
6
7 I also find it handy for creating more partitions than the standard hardware
8 schemes allow - it used to be 12 on a SCSI disk and 15 on IDE; I haven't
9 bothered to find out what SATA allows.
10
11 This wouldn't usually matter on a production system, but experimenting with
12 other distros is eased by using LVM. So is creating several swap partitions
13 with different sizes and priorities: small ones for normal use and big ones
14 for compiling Open Office - that sort of thing.
17 Rgds
18 Peter