From: Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using LINGUAS on a per package basis like with USE
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:11:14
1 Fernando Canizo wrote:
2 > (key: /etc/portage/package.linguas -> for google ;)
3 >
4 > Hi everyone,
5 >
6 > I use LINGUAS="es en" on my system, but what I really want to have is
7 > something like /etc/portage/package.use but for LINGUAS. Is there some
8 > way to specify this? Or are there any plans to support such behaviour?
9
10 I found my post on GWN and saw Bo Ørsted Andresen's reply there, that
11 reply never came to my box, I don't know why. Anyway, thanks Bo, it's
12 working perfectly now by setting something like:
13
14 app-office/openoffice linguas_en -linguas_es
15 www-client/mozilla-firefox linguas_en -linguas_es
16 mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird linguas_en -linguas_es
17
18 BTW, if someone gets curious about why I'll want to do something like
19 this, I'll explain: I get very annoyed by the translation teams. They
20 not only translate menus, which is ok, but also hotkeys! So if you're
21 accustomed to use english version of openoffice, the day you switch to
22 spanish version you're doomed, you have to learn everything from scratch
23 because they screwed hotkeys.
24
25 I don't know why they do that. Maybe they will reply that one associates
26 function names with hotkey combination so ctrl-o for english "open" and
27 ctrl-a for spanish "abrir".
28
29 But I think that given the ammount of possible bindings is just a waste
30 of time. In the end one just learn the bindings and don't care about if
31 it has something to do with the function name.
32
33 Please drop that policy. Get programs translated but left hotkeys alone
34 in the name of portability. (portability of my knowledge).
38 Fernando Canizo - http://muriandre.homelinux.org/~conan/
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list