From: Paul Sobey <buddha@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Automated Builds - Advice Plz
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:24:58
1 Hello All,
2
3 Not sure this is the perfect place to post, but you are such a helpful
4 bunch, I thought I'd give it a crack.
5
6 In several previous jobs I've put together automated builds for Windows
7 boxes, complete with app installs, configuration, bla bla. Now in a new
8 role, I need to develop an automated framework to cover Linux (RHEL),
9 Solaris and Windows. This will probably be in python, so I'll try and have
10 a common menu system asking a sensible set of questions at the beginning.
11
12 What general techniques would you guys recommend for automated builds of
13 Linux/Solaris? Is it as simple as partitioning, untarring an appropriate
14 set of files and writing some config out? It certainly has to be easier
15 than the rather convoluted Windows process :)
16
17 Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.
18
19 Cheers from sunny London,
20 Paul
21
22 p.s. I'm trying to make a case for use of Gentoo internally (I find Gentoo
23 package management easier and more flexible than yum/deb) - but since I'm
24 working for an investment fund, the powers that be are keen on the cozy
25 supportedness of RHEL. Any suggestions here welcome too!
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list