From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optimizations for low-bandwidth web browsing?
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 09:28:47
1 >> I need to optimize web browsing for a slow cell phone data connection.
2 >> I'd like to browse faster and use less data ($). I've installed
3 >> ImgLikeOpera for Firefox which is great at selectively blocking
4 >> images, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do?
7 > You should try Opera Turbo (Opera 10 beta). It uses server-side compression
9 > do exactly what you're asking: browse faster and use less data ($).
10 >
11 > http://labs.opera.com/news/2009/03/13/
12 > http://www.opera.com/browser/next/
13
14 I think I like Firefox+ImgLikeOpera+AdblockPlus better than Opera
15 Turbo. Speed seems about the same and I don't think there's an ad
16 blocker for Opera that's as good as Adblock Plus.
17
18 I wonder how much bandwidth I'm wasting by passing on Opera's code
19 compression. I'm only displaying cached images so the image
20 compression isn't helping.
21
22 Anyone else tried Opera Turbo?
23