From: Sascha Lucas <sascha.lucas@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is binary emerge equivalent to source emerge?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:50:04
1 Hi Ian,
2
3 > 1) Does this seem like a sensible idea? Will it generally work?
4 > 2) Will --usepkg --getbinpkg use binary packages for dependencies?
5 > 3) Is the resultant Portage database equivalent to source emerges, especially
6 > in respect of future --updates, --newuse, etc?
7 > 4) Am I right to use a Portage snapshot from the current machine?
8 > 5) Is this idea so close to the Catalyst idea that I should use its methods
9 > to achieve my aims?
10
11 I'm answering to your thread, because I'm also playing with binary merges.
12 At the moment I'm not realy happy with it. I've played with catalyst/GRP,
13 PORTAGE_BINHOST (aka --getbinpkg), PKGDIR via nfs (aka --usepkg).
14
15 Perhaps there is someone out there who can point me to some docs etc. Or
16 correct my following statments:
17
18 to 1)
19 - yes it will work
20 - you have 3 choices how to build your binarys
21 * GRP with catalyst (usefull if your USE-/CFLAGS-Falgs etc. on the
22 build system and target system differ)
23 * quickpkg from allready installed ebuilds
24 * FEATURES="buildpkg" in make.conf (creates bin's on merge)
25 - the last 2 are usefull if your USE-/CFLAGS-Flags are identical or do
26 not differ much
27
28 - what you need is:
29 * portage-snapshot (can be done with catalyst)
30 * stage3 from internet or actual build with catalyst
31 * binarys build with USE-/CFLAGS-Flags you want on the target
32
33 to 2)
34 - yes binarys are used for deps
35 - --usepkg looks for binarys in PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
36 - --getbinpkg looks for binarys on PORTAGE_BINHOST (I tried ftp)
37 - both have a "only" variant which should use only binarys
38 - the only-variants doesn't make me happy, because they seem to ignore
39 different USE-Flags
40
41 to 3)
42 - if you mean /var/db/pkg then yes it's the same
43 - updates seem to work (-kuD world)
44 - -uD --newuse world (ebuild only) works
45 - -uD --newuse --usepkg world (binary if possible, else ebuild) does not
46 work very well
47
48 to 4 and 5) may be something in my comments to 1-3.
49
50 Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.... then please tell me the better way.
51
52 THX,
53
54 Sascha.