From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make oldconfig necessary?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:01:20
1 On 7/31/2011 7:06 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Let's say I have a .config from an older kernel version (for example,
3 > 2.6.38), and now I want to install a newer kernel (let's say, 3.0).
4 >
5 > Is it necessary to first do `make oldconfig`, or is it safe to go
6 > directly to `make menuconfig`?
7
8 Necessary to run make old config? No.
9
10 Easier and simpler most of the time? Yes.
11
12 I like to make a fresh kernel from scratch every year or so without any
13 previous settings to keep the cruft out. I last did it for my vbox image
14 figuring I was going to need to very little hardware support so starting
15 fresh made sense.
16
17 kashani