From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python 2 deprecation
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 05:35:18
1 james wrote:
2 > On 1/25/20 10:00 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I have removed all syntax/expressions from
6 >>> /etc/portage/make.conf
7 >>>
8 >>> related to python; hoping python-2 would just die a natural, slow and
9 >>> painless (for me) death, on this ancient gentoo install.
10 >>>
11 >>> Any and all comments related to what to check/do are most welcome,
12 >>> related to removing python-2*
13 >>
14 >> Disclaimer: I'm not involved with the python team, so details could
15 >> change around this...
16 >>
17 >> Right now that is your best bet.  If you don't care about python,
18 >> avoid specifying python-related flags in your config files.  Then
19 >> portage will just apply defaults wherever possible.  It doesn't always
20 >> work, but that is mainly when packages can only support one version of
21 >> python at a time (which isn't too many of them).
22 >>
23 >> As long as you aren't going crazy with accepting keywords then the
24 >> profiles should be updated so that python versions are removed only
25 >> after all the packages that depend on them have been removed, ideally
26 >> with newer v3 packages having been stabilized.  I suspect this process
27 >> will drag out for months as everybody involved realizes that migrating
28 >> can be painful but it has to be done, so expect packages to steadily
29 >> get masked and to see v2 stuff start disappearing once the packages
30 >> that depend on them are gone.  Users can always do overlays if they
31 >> want to maintain their own v2 forks, but I suspect this will be a lot
32 >> of work.  Maybe somebody will step up and do it but I'm not seeing
33 >> many signs of it.
34 >>
35 >> Some packages in Gentoo just aren't super well-maintained and so
36 >> upstream might have v3 packages that aren't in the repo.  Bugs and
37 >> especially pull requests will doubtless be welcomed in these cases.
38 >> Just about every major distro is pushing to get rid of v2 so upstreams
39 >> that are dragging their feet are going to have motivation to fix
40 >> things or they just won't have any users left.
41 >>
42 >> I'm sure at some point there will be a news announcement if users
43 >> actually need to do anything.  I doubt the rug will just get pulled
44 >> out from under you.  Even the package masks can be unmasked for 30
45 >> days until the packages start getting pulled which gives you a bit of
46 >> pain-free time to deal with it.
50 > thx,
51 >
52 > just a test via another mail-route. curious if it works
57 FYI, it came through but the threading was broken.  It appeared here as
58 a new thread.
59
60 Dale
61