From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing compilers
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:33:55
1 On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On 03/19/12 22:02, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
5 >>>> Hi all,
6 >>>>    Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
7 >>>> Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale. My
8 >>>> situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do Finite
9 >>>> Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to
10 >>>> find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX
11 >>>> compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm
12 >>>> doing this 1 - 2% IS important.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to compile
15 >>>> the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily, gcc-config
16 >>>> or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can use the
17 >>>> libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and so on.
18 >>>> Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what other people
19 >>>> are saying as well.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
22 >>>>       Andrew Lowe
23 >>>>
24 >>>>
25 >>>
26 >>> Think CUDA
27 >>
28 >> Yes. And as a convenient side-effect, it offers a great excuse to
29 >> upgrade your video card with some regularity. The performance of
30 >> mid-grade and high-grade video cards continues to improve rapidly.
33 >        Sorry, can't do that, I'm using epic,
34 >
35 > http://tinyurl.com/83l5o3z
36 >
37 > which currently ranks at 151 in the top 500 list :) It's amazing how
38 > fast this list changes, 6 months ago, this machine was at 107 and 6
39 > months before that 87.
40
41 That does change things a bit. I don't know Epic's structure or their
42 upgrade plans, but if you're confident it's not going to have GPGPU
43 capabilities, then CUDA and OpenCL are less useful for you. OpenCL, at
44 least, still handles per-CPU and per-node job dispatching, though. And
45 that's still likely to be useful for performing on huge matrices.
46
47 To answer your original question: No, I haven't done much with
48 anything other than gcc on Gentoo. What you *should* do is grab each
49 compiler (trial versions, if necessary) and test them to find which
50 gives you the best results. It's my understanding PhD programs involve
51 getting things done right, not so much quickly or easily. Best to be
52 methodical about it.
55 :wq