From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "New to aliexpress" pop up - how to block it?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:50:49
1 On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 10:59:21 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 07/16 10:48, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > On 07/16 09:18, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 09:59:54 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 > > > > On 07/16 08:51, Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 > > > --->8
7 > > >
8 > > > > > Have you tried Ghostery?
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > http://www.ghostery.com
11 > > > >
12 > > > > Hi Peter,
13 > > > >
14 > > > > no, due to this reason:
15 > > > >
16 > > > > "Ghostery is owned by Evidon, a company that collects and provides
17 > > > > data to advertising companies." Source here:
18 > > > > https://lifehacker.com/ad-blocking-extension-ghostery-actually-sells
19 > > > > -data-> to-a-514417864> >
20 > > > I hadn't read that; interesting. But note that it only says your data
21 > > > are
22 > > > collected if you choose to "support" them, and apparently the data are
23 > > > anonymised. Actually, when I looked just now I found that choice made
24 > > > for me by default. I've now changed it - thanks for the pointer!
25 > > >
26 > > > I'll continue to use Ghostery for the moment, as it seems highly
27 > > > effective in stopping all manner of intrusions.
28 > >
29 > > Hi Peter,
30 > >
31 > > How far would you trust a company, which makes money from selling
32 > > my/your data and is promoting a tool to prevent exactly this?
33 > >
34 > > Me: Not a single radius/wave length of a quantum...
35 > >
36 > > "Anonymised data" is a bad joke in post Orwell times...
37 > >
38 > > Cheers
39 > > Meino
40 >
41 > See also here:
42 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery
43 >
44 > cite:
45 > "Some say that Ghostery, Inc. plays a dual role in the online
46 > advertising industry. Ghostery blocks sites from gathering personal
47 > information. But it does have an opt-in feature GhostRank that can be
48 > checked to "support" them. GhostRank takes note of ads encountered and
49 > blocked, and sends that information back to advertisers so they can
50 > better formulate their ads to avoid being blocked.[22] Though Ghostery
51 > claims that the data are anonymized, patterns of web page visits
52 > cannot truly be anonymized.[23] Thus not everyone sees Evidon's
53 > business model as conflict-free. "Evidon has a financial incentive to
54 > encourage the program's adoption and discourage alternatives like Do
55 > Not Track and cookie blocking as well as to maintain positive
56 > relationships with intrusive advertising companies," says Jonathan
57 > Mayer, a Stanford grad student and privacy advocate."
58
59 Hmm. Plenty to think about there.
62 Regards
63 Peter