From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 16:14:35
1 Hello, konsolebox.
2
3 On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:18:49PM +0800, konsolebox wrote:
4 > On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hello, everybody.
6
7 > Good day.
8
9 > > instead of conceptualising a "branch" (as you would do with Mercurial,
10 > > Bazaar, Subversion, or even CVS), you need to think about "commits
11 > > reachable from a certain head (excluding commits reachable from some
12 > > other head)".
13
14 > I actually see that as a more flexible approach. git is designed to be
15 > distributed and that's what everyone loves about it.
16
17 We're in violent agreement, it seems. git is very flexible, just like
18 programming in assembler is. git is certainly a distributed system,
19 just like Mercurial, Bazaar, etc., but seems to be the only one of its
20 kind that imposes this degree of flexibility on its users. Hence the
21 multi-hundred line man pages for each of git's 155 sub-commands.
22 Mercurial has a mere 50 sub-commands (plus, to be fair, a few one's
23 going to need which are classified as extensions), and a single, very
24 readable, man page ~8000 lines long.
25
26 > For everything:
27