From: Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I've hosed portage
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:57:21
1 Hi,
2
3 another thing that might help is not generating the cache at all. It
4 appears that we can get away with what is in /usr/portage/metadata/cache.
5
6 I've put -metadata-transfer into FEATURES to tell portage to skip the
7 "Generating cache" stuff, and added the following to my
8 /etc/portage/modules:
9
10 portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database
11
12 I don't guarantee anything, but I've been using this approach for a
13 while (a year or so) and never had any problems.
14
15 I also am using squashfs+aufs for my portage tree, which - apart from
16 speeding things up here - has the nice little effect that /usr/portage
17 now only takes up about 50MB in a .sqfs image.
18 You will need to get aufs from the sunrise overlay, but if you are not
19 comfortable doing so you can use squashfs+unionfs as explained in this
20 gentoo-wiki article [1]
21
22 If you intend to use aufs, Martin Väth (who is also the current
23 maintainer of eix) has written a nifty little init-script for handling
24 those images (see "initscripts.tar.gz" on [2]).
25
26 HTH, Emil
27
28 [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_VERY_small_Portage_Tree_with_SquashFS_and_UnionFS
29 [2] http://www.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vaeth/gentoo/index.html
32 Emil Beinroth
33 83059 Kolbermoor | Germany
34
35 Rich bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be
36 happier than others. -- Oscar Wilde