From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:29:10
1 On Sunday 29 Jan 2012 19:09:59 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >
5 > > I'm going to try to talk him into letting my transfer them to CD. Tell
6 > > him it is time to catch up with new and better things. CD drives has
7 > > autodetect and just plain work better anyway.
8 > >
9 > > At least I know there is a chance. ;-)
10 > >
11 > > Dale
12 > >
13 > > :-) :-)
14 >
15 > A single USB thumb drive for $20 would likely hold every floppy he
16 > ever made, and maybe 10-20 times more. Why waste time making & sorting
17 > through CDs, etc?
18
19 I'm coming to this late, but floppies should just work™ and show up under
20 /dev/fd0 or /dev/floppy. I've got an old laptop which has a bay for CDROM or
21 floppy and was able to access a floppy only a couple of months ago. With fluxbox
22 and no automounting I had to run pmount or mount (can't recall now).
23
24 The only historical problem I recall is when running grub prompt at grub
25 installation time which could spend an inordinate amount of time probing the
26 floppy (using --no-floppy sorts this out).
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick