From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why you've chosen your desktop environment? (no war !)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 21:10:53
1 On 17/08/2014 20:47, Henrique Lengler wrote:
2 > I don't know why KDE people are creating everything again.
3 > koffice, konqueror, a lot of things, that already exists in the linux
4 > world are being recreated by KDE.
5 >
6 > Whats the problem to use things that already exists?
7 > Why don't include software that is famous and liked by people insted of
8 > insist in their "K"things?
12 You can't be serious right?
15 was started at all. It's all about incoherent, mis-matched,
16 ugly-when-bundled together apps that do not work in sympathy. This is
17 still true today.
18
19 Take kparts and kioslaves. KDE treats as much as possible as some sort
20 of plugin that all KDE apps can share. This gives the user a fantastic
21 degree of abstraction because anything that represents data can be a
22 kpart. NFS mounts, smb shares, ssh, some weird random new thing - all of
23 them show up in the file manager. Drag and drop works because of this.
24
25 Consistent look and feel amongst KDE apps is probably the best reason
26 for KDE's existence at all. But let's continue with your argument. What
27 are these things that "already exist"? Nautilus? Why should KDE *not*
28 implement a file manager? Should we ditch Dolphin in favour of Nautilus?
29 Or something else perhaps? Should we drop Okular and tell everyone to
30 just use xpdf instead? OMGF, have you actually *used* that piece of
31 shit? Can you figure out *how* to use it? I can't - buttons all over the
32 place in weird places.... xpdf is probably the best example of why KDE
33 was started.
34
35 I think I will stop now and wait for you to list the 100s of apps that
36 already existed before related KDE apps were released, so we can see
37 what these adequate replacements are.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com