From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New laptop is slow.
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:34:25
1 >> I just finished installing Gentoo on a Dell Vostro 1320 laptop.  It
2 >> has a 2.2Ghz Core Duo CPU, 3GB RAM, and a 7200RPM hard drive.
3 >> Navigating within firefox is pretty slow.  It's the response time of
4 >> the application, not the network.  It's much slower than my previous
5 >> laptop which has much weaker specs.
6 >>
7 >> I noticed the HD light comes on when the system is pausing in firefox
8 >> sometimes.  I don't have any swap at all, I'm using the CFQ, and /tmp
9 >> is mounted on tmpfs.  Can anyone suggest where to look?
10 >
11 > When you're not using X does it still seem slow? You don't mention
12 > what kind of video or arch vs ~arch, but I would try different
13 > AccelMethod options in your xorg.conf. On my laptop everything in X
14 > was very slow until I set
15 > Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
16
17 Thank you James and Paul. I read this:
18
19 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/195836
20
21 and downgraded to xf86-video-intel-2.7.1 and all is well.
22
23 - Grant