From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] gcc build fails during emerge system on new 64-bit install
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:56:33
1 Walter Dnes writes:
2
3 > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 09:38:17PM +0100, Mick wrote
4 >
5 > > I'll repeat the advice I was given in this list sometime around last
6 > > Christmas (but can't find the thread now): you're bound to find some
7 > > pesky application which is only available in 32bit and then you'll
8 > > curse for having to reinstall.
9 >
10 > If anything, I'll install a VM to run it in.
11
12 I'm curious. Are there advantages on not running a multilib profile?
13
14 > <RANT>
15 > Why on earth will xorg-x11 *NOT* build if I mask out various arabic,
16 > cyrillic, ethiopic, and jis fonts? My PC is *NOT* intended to be a
17 > kiosk machine at UN headquarters fer-cryin-out-loud.
18 > </RANT>
19
20 xorg-x11 depends on them, I think there is no way to tell portage a
21 dependency is optional. Might be nice feature, though. Debian has
22 something like this I think, 'suggested packages' that may be installed
23 additionally if desired. Maybe an 'optional' use flag could do this? But
24 it would habe to be set for every package, not in the DEPEND list in the
25 xorg-x11 ebuild. A DEPEND_IF_NOT_MASKED entry in the ebuild would be nice.
26
27 Anyway, I do not install xorg-x11 at all, but xorg-server instead. Which
28 means I have to care about optional stuff for myself, like fonts, tools
29 like xdpyinfo and such. But at least I do not have cyrillic fonts on my
30 system :)
31
32 Wonko