From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:09:03
1 Am 26.01.2014 15:35, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > Anyone else noticed this yet? Some portage update seems to have made
3 > "emerge -uDN @world" perform about 10 times slower than before. It used
4 > to take seconds, now it takes about 4 minutes only to tell me that
5 > there's nothing to update. And it does that every time, even directly in
6 > succession and with the caches warm.
7 >
8 > Is it just me?
12 As a remedy, you can try to use portage with pypy. I've used this setup
13 for half a year and it works well.
14
15 make.conf:
16 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 pypy2_0"
17
18 /etc/portage/package.keywords:
19 dev-python/pypy
20 virtual/pypy
21
22 /etc/portage/package.use:
23 sys-apps/portage pypy2_0
24
25 /etc/portage/profile/package.use.mask
26 sys-apps/portage -python_targets_pypy2_0 -pypy2_0
27
28 I could give you figures for the performance improvement but they are
29 probably not very helpful as I have 289 overlays active. That means
30 portage regularly requires more than a Gig memory for dependency
31 calculation.
32
33 Downsides:
34 - emerging pypy takes forever and uses a lot of memory
35 - userfetch and userpriv don't work
36
37 Regards,
38 Florian Philipp