From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how to match kernel and udev/lvm2 ?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 16:04:22
1 *WARNING* ---- old stuff mentioned, pls don't say "get up to date"
2
3 ;-)
4
5 ------------>
6
7 greets,
8
9 another special question today:
10
11 I had an issue w/ a customer server yesterday.
12
13 It still runs kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 due to the fact that they still
14 run vmware-server-1.0.8.126538 and the related modules.
15
16 Back then I figured out that newer vmware-modules wouldn't compile w/
17 newer kernels ... and so on.
18
19 In fact they don't want to spend money on upgrading (vmware-server etc)
20 because there will be a new and shiny server later this year.
21
22 -
23
24 But the guy asked me if we could swap harddrives to add space, and
25 increase the LVM volume group etc.
26
27 I said yes .. and upgraded stuff like udev and lvm2 a few weeks ago,
28 just in case and to have the latest releases. It hit us yesterday when
29 he swapped a fan and at reboot udev didn't create proper sdX and mdX
30 devices anymore ...
31
32 So I had to downgrade udev and lvm2 again to fit that ancient kernel. I
33 used genlop to check which versions were installed at the time the last
34 successful boot had happened.
35
36 Right now I have:
37
38 sys-fs/udev-124-r2
39
40 sys-fs/lvm2-2.02-56-r2
41
42 yep, old.
43
44 The question: how to find out (without much trial and error) which
45 releases of udev and lvm2 are the best/newest to use with that kernel?
46
47 I don't want too much old bugs in the box on one hand while on the other
48 hand I have to mask pkgs to keep it running.
49
50 Maybe one of you has a hint for me.
51
52 Thanks in advance, best regards, Stefan