From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems debugging a systemd problem
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 23:57:54
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 2:11 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > Also, as Rich said, if you wait it's possible that systemd (and/or
6 > dracut)
7 > > > will drop you into a rescue shell anyway. Unfortunately, thanks to very
8 > > > slow hardware in the wild, the timeout has been increased to three
9 > minutes,
10 > > > and I believe those are *per hardware unit*. So if you have five disks,
11 > in
12 > > > theory it could take fifteen minutes to get you to a rescue shell.
13 > >
14 > > Thanks much. Does the rescue target try to mount all the disks? Also,
15 > > I would still like to get in touch with the dracut devs -- although I
16 > > may never make that particular mistake again, but maybe other things
17 > > will happen.
18 >
19 > As I said in my previous mail: emergency mounts the root filesystem
20 > read-only; rescue mounts all the filesystems read/write. If dracut cannot
21 > mount the root filesystem, it *WILL* drop you to a shell, but it will take
22 > some time while all the timeouts expire. This could be *several* minutes
23 > depending on hardware.
24 >
25 > The dracut mailing list is in [1].
26 >
27 > Regards.
28
29 OK, thanks much.
32 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
33 How do
34 you spend it?
35
36 John Covici